Wednesday 20 October 2010

Chapter 1 - The Village



This is the third time there has been a power-cut/blackout since writing this, its quite frustrating, especially when your trying to upload 40 GB of footage.

First things first, this place is chaos, but a beautiful chaos. It's actually quite difficult to comprehend how much has happened in such a short space of time, I'm beginning to feel as though I've been on holiday for a week not two days.
This first entry I'd like to paint a picture in your mind of what this place is like and the events that have occurred so far, the rest will most likely be my thoughts on the environment and atmosphere that I'm currently witnessing.

My camera has passed the test of shooting for 9 hours straight in 40 degrees heat today. It's shooting in 1080p HD and records around 4GB every 12 minutes meaning without a computer to upload footage to my hard-drive I wouldn't have a very long film. But if you know me you know that i blag just about everything. I have managed to get my hands on a custom designed UV blue gaming PC (the only one in the Gambia I'm told) meaning i can upload the footage with ease (3 hours of ease)

Trouble started yesterday as soon as we took off, flight delayed by 4 hours, one student loosing her suitcase, harassment by fake officials at the airport, bust up with travel co-ordinaters and waterlogged roads.

Arriving late, I made friends with the night time beach security guard and took part in some well deserved star gazing with my room mate, 29 year old Martin Scandling, a teacher from Swindon Commonweal.

Getting to the important stuff, today has been an insight like no other. So far in my life I've been all around Europe, across America, Gran Canyon and snowboarding more times than i can count. This is something entirely different. I cant quite begin to explain the types of people I've met and issues I've come across already. What I'm experiencing is something quite surreal. Entering the village really pulled my heart strings, even as busy as i was with the camera in my hands I couldn't help but feel for what i was seeing. Ive shot some amazing footage and arranged some quality interviews with interesting people, passionate about getting there word across.

Our hotel is nice, clean and extremely welcoming. I believe the thing that's hit me most is coming back to something so comforting after a day of seeing such poverty. The safety and comfort of the 23 students is the most important thing and staying in a hotel was vital necessity. With that said it is difficult knowing that most of the people i met today have never felt the comfort of a hotel room, let alone the idea of my house at home.
I'm arranging staying in a compound at the village, located an hour away from the hotels position.
If 9 hours of village life has emotionally moved me me the way it has today, i can't wait to see how a whole 24 hours affect me.

Things are going well & i can feel there is a lot to come.
Ross.

No comments:

Post a Comment