Thursday 21 October 2010

Chapter 2 - The Heavens Open


amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing, and i don't just mean the footage.
We visited a pre-school and were welcomed with 68 children singing and clapping.
One thing i found astounding was a conversation i caught between a teacher from Commonweal school (my room mate Martin) and a teacher from Kunjur pre-school. Martin was gobsmacked by the set lesson plans and curricular activities the teachers had in place for the children. This school consisted of 6 rooms in a line in the middle of a jungle. Children who couldn't afford to pay school fees stood helplessly at the metal bars looking in on the working children. After climbing various trees to get a heightened establishing shot of the school i was able to take in just how incredible and organized this place was for its scale.

We then eat African style at a compound in the village. One massive bowl of food per 5 people, you scoop with your hands picking up an array of rice, vegetables, meats and fruits. It was a strange experience but another insightful step into another culture. When visiting the village I've set up 4 interviews each person with a exciting and relevant story to tell.

After driving back through pouring rain i decided to have a swim in the sea. I was stood in a sea that was warmer than the rain hitting me, not only that it was twilight, the clouds were dense and the sun was just disappearing, i was in my element.
thinking my night couldn't get much better...
it did.
Hearing thunder seeing lightning never fails to make my jaw drop and my heart skip. Ive always been fascinated with the sky, stars and planets but tonight was a night like I've never experienced before. The flashes were constant and the thunder was frightening, i ran to the beach with my camera and began to shoot. I was stood on a deserted tropical beach surrounded by palm trees, the sea before me was lit a perfect white by the florescent flashes of the sky above and i was there capturing every moment.
So excited for tomorrow.
Arrangements for me staying in the compound with a family on Sunday night have also been arranged.
Missing certain people who know who they are and would do anything to have them share this experience with me.

Night!

1 comment: